We will be the leading electrical utility and a trusted partner to remote communities in Ontario’s north.
We supply safe, reliable and affordable electricity to remote communities by focusing on continuous improvement, operational excellence and outstanding customer service.
- Hydro One Remote Communities Inc. – often referred to as “Remotes” – is a subsidiary of Hydro One Inc. We combine the advantages of a large company’s expertise in the energy sector, with the intimacy and excellent customer service of a small business.
- We generate and distribute electricity to thousands of customers in many remote communities in Ontario’s Far North.
- Most of the communities we serve are “off-grid”, meaning they are not connected to the electricity grid. Currently, the most reliable and cost effective method to generate power in these remote communities is using diesel generators.
- Northerners can depend on us for safe, reliable and affordable power.
- The Remote Communities team is made up of over 50 highly trained and skilled employees, including engineers, mechanics, line maintainers, electricians and technicians stationed in Thunder Bay.
- Since the cost of living in the north is high, we operate our business to break-even and we do not make a profit.
- The majority of the communities we serve are First Nations and many of our suppliers and contractors are First Nation enterprises.
- We work closely with First Nations communities and Band Councils to help them meet their electricity needs.
- We provide local employment opportunities hiring local First Nations Operators to work in our generating plants, local meter readers, as well as cleaning staff and other services.
- We understand that the cost of living in the north is high. The communities we serve have the lowest electricity rates in Ontario!
- When customers call our office, they can expect a caring person to answer the phone within 30 seconds. Our dedicated team is always eager to help.
- Our monthly bills are affordable and we will work with customers to help make paying them easier.
- We respect the land and water and work hard to reduce the overall environmental impact of our business.
- We invest in renewable generation and offer the communities we serve the opportunity to sell renewable electricity to us.
- We are an environmental leader, recognized provincially and nationally for our achievements.
- We have been registered to the ISO 14001 environmental standard since 2002 and continue to improve our operations every year.
Safety & Reliability
- Our goal is to ensure that the power is there when you reach for the switch.
- Our generation availability is 99.99%, putting our reliability in the top 25% of comparable companies across Canada.
- Our public safety program helps raise awareness of the dangers of electricity. We work with schools to ensure children know how to stay safe around electricity.
- We respond to emergency power outages 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.